This fall, MSAC is facilitating a public-led revision of the Independent Artist Award (IAA) program, which has recognized achievement by Maryland artists making work independent of institutions or organizations. This revision effort is based on data collected since 2020 from applicants, panelists, and award winners, who have made suggestions on how to improve the IAA program’s service to the public. The next step of this process is to identify a panel of editors who will work with MSAC staff to further refine the suggestions into clear policy recommendations, which will be carefully considered as MSAC further develops the IAA program.
Consider completing an application to serve as an editor in this process.
All selected editors will be expected to:
- Become familiar with previously collected data and current MSAC efforts to support artists through the IAA program.
- Work with MSAC staff to consider how to improve the service of the IAA program to Maryland artists in light of other MSAC opportunities, including the Grants for Artists program, set to pilot in winter 2023.
- Participate in at least two virtual meetings discussing the above issues and developing procedure and policy recommendations for further consideration by MSAC staff, council, and Department of Commerce leadership.
What we are looking for:
- Maryland artists with backgrounds in a variety of disciplines (e.g., literary, performing, visual, media, and traditional arts, etc.), or who are interested in learning how changes are considered and implemented within MSAC.
- IAA winners, applicants, and panelists from the past three years are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
- Click here to log in or create a free account in SmartSimple. You must be registered as an “Independent Artist” to apply to be an editor.
- Under Funding Opportunities, select "Public Call."
- Select "Program Editor" from the first drop down option.
- Select “Independent Artist Awards” as the Grant Program from the second drop down option.
- Click "Save Draft" at the bottom to populate the application.
- Complete the application and click “Submit.”
Editors will receive a minimum of $400 upon completion of assigned tasks, with the possibility of additional compensation if more than two virtual meetings are needed.
Deadline: Friday, November 11, 2022