The Public Art Across Maryland (PAAM) New Artworks Grant offers funding to artists and organizations to support the planning, creation, and installation of new local public art projects.
- Planning Grants: $5,000
- Project Grants: up to $20,000
Applicants must utilize the following Budget templates with their online submission:
Applicants must be a/an:
- Independent Artist living in Maryland
- Non-profit organization
- Unit of government
- County Arts Agency or Arts &Entertainment District
Planning Grant awards up to $5,000 to support independent artists or organizations creating public art proposals with communities.
Project Grant awards up to $20,000 to independent artists or organizations to support the fabrication and installation of new public artwork. The artwork must have been developed through a community process, and be fully designed including identification of the artist(s) creating the work.
MSAC utilizes a multi-disciplinary, statewide grant panel to electronically review and score applications.
Before submitting a completed application, refer to the FY22 New Artworks Scoring Rubric for the complete scoring criteria panelists use to evaluate applications.
PAAM New Artworks Planning Grants may be used for:
- Administrative fees related to community activities and/or selection of the artist
- Artist fees and/or honorariums for artwork design and proposal development
- Consultant fee(s)
- Facility/equipment rentals for community meetings
- Online application software fees
PAAM New Artworks Project Grants may be used:
- Paying artists, fabricators, and individuals to fabricate and install the public artwork
- Renting equipment and/or space needed for fabrication and/or installation
- Purchasing artwork materials and/or tools for fabrication and/or installation
- Transportation of the artwork to the site
- Administration/Project Management fee may not exceed 15% of the project budget
Independent Artists or Organizations apply via the secure online grants application software SmartSimple. Log in or create a free account at marylandarts.smartsimple.com.
- Applicants are required to complete and submit their applications by electronic means, including the use of an electronic signature.
- Technical support for SmartSimple is available during regular office hours.
- Lost, misdirected or late applications are the sole responsibility of the applicant.
- Applicants must meet all revision deadlines after submission, as specified in writing, or the application will be withdrawn.
August 20, 2021
November 20, 2021
February 18, 2022
May 13, 2022
- New Artworks Grants will be awarded throughout the fiscal year.
- Applications submitted after a quarterly deadline will be reviewed in the following quarter.
- Applicants will receive notification of application status within six weeks of the quarterly deadline.
- If awarded, applicants will receive payment 6-8 upon receipt of the fully executed grant agreement.